Hudson
      Valley
          Villages

hudsonvalleyvillages.com
Hudson River Valley. New York
Home Hudson River west bank Hudson River east bank Route 22
 
Hudson Valley, Route 9,
Estates and Attractions
.

Arranged in order from North to South. Please confirm hours of operation and check fee schedule.
Chronology and Sources

Kinderhook

Van Alen House
Route 9H, Kinderhook
518-758-9265
Dutch style farmhouse built by Luykas Van Alen in 1737. Mid-18th century furniture and decorations.
The homestead, a National Historic Landmark, is operated by the Columbia County Historical Society. "The Columbia County Historical Society has done extensive restoration and preserves the 30 acre site as a museum and model of Dutch farm life of the 17th century"
Open Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend, Thursday through Saturday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, 1 pm to 5 pm
kinderhookconnection.com


Lindenwald
Route 9H, 2 miles south of Kinderhook
518-758-9689
Martin Van Buren National Historic Site
Lindenwald, President Van Burenís 36-room mansion was home of the eighth president from 1841 until he died in 1862.
The Federalist style mansion was built by Peter Van Ness in 1797. It was sold to Martin Van Buren, a native of Kinderhook, in 1839.
Visitor season runs seven days-a-week from 9:00am to 4:30pm from mid-May to October 31.
www.nps.gov/mava


Rip Van Winkle Bridge. - between Catskill and Hudson

Hudson

Robert Jenkins House and Museum
113 Warren Street, Hudson
518-828-9764
The house was built in 1811 by Robert Jenkins, the third and fifth mayor of Hudson and the son of the first mayor of the city, Seth Jenkins.
The museum holds artifacts from Revolutionary Period through World War II, Hudson River School paintings. Library and Museum open July-Aug., Sun.-Mon., 1-3 pm
The Robert Jenkins House and Museum is now owned by the DAR chapter, which maintains it as a library and museum.

Olana State Historic Site
Route 9G, Hudson
One mile south of bridge.
518-828-0135
Persian-style home and estate of Hudson River School artist Frederic Edwin Church. April 15-Labor Day weekend, Wed.-Sat., 10-4, Sun., 12-4. After Labor Day-Oct. 31: Wed.-Sun., 12-4. Grounds open daily 8:30 a.m. to sunset, year round. House by tour only; reservations accepted. Visitor's center, museum shop open daily. Cascades at Olana espresso bar. Picnic site.
www.olana.org


Germantown

Clermont State Historic Site
Near Route 9G, Clermont
518-537-4240
Clermont. Built by Robert R. Livingston, Jr. in 1730. Burned in 1775 it was immediately rebuilt. Was the country estate of the Livingston family until 1962. River views. formal gardens, carriage trails, picnic site overlooking the river. Grounds open year-round 8:30 a.m. to sunset. House open April-Oct.

Annandale

Montgomery Place
River Road, Annandale
845-758-5461
Mansion is closed for renovations. Expected completion is 2010. Grounds are open to the public. Fee is $5.00.
Montgomery Place was designed by A.J. Davis and built for Janet Livingston Montgomery in 1804. 434-acre estate has the restored 23-room mansion, greenhouse, gardens, woodland trails, river views. Hours: Open daily, except Tuesdays, April through October, 10 am.-5 pm. Last tour at 4 a.m. Open weekends in November, 10 am.-5 pm. and the first two weekends in December, noon to 5 pm

Kingston Rhineliff Bridge

Rhinebeck

Wildersstein Preservation
Morton Rd., Rhinebeck
845-876-4818
1888 Queen Anne Mansion on 40 acres with meadows and lawns overlooking Hudson River; landscape design by Calvert Vaux; lavish house interiors by J. B. Tiffany. Grounds free, fee for house tours. May-Oct., Thurs.-Sun., 12-4.

Staatsburg

Mills Mansion State Historic Site
Route 9, Staatsburg
845-889-8851
Country home of Ogden and Ruth Livingston Mills. 1895 Beaux-arts mansion overlooking the Hudson River. Grand interiors are in the styles of 18th c. France. Guided tours, museum store, trails, river views, lawn picnicking and special events. Open Wed.-Sat., 10-5 (last tour at 4:30 p.m.), Sun., 12-5

Hyde Park

Vanderbilt Mansion
Route 9, Hyde Park
845-229-7770.
Beaux Arts mansion on the Hudson River built in 1895 for Frederick Vanderbilt, A National Historic Site. Tour groups or buses must make reservations. Open May 19-Oct. 31, daily 9-5. Grounds open daily 7 a.m. to dusk.

Springwood, Home Of Franklin D. Roosevelt
Route 9, Hyde Park
845-229-5320
Springwood was bought by James & Rebecca Howland Roosevelt in 1867. Renovated by the family and expanded into a 17 room Italian villa in 1882. Birthplace of FDR (1882). Expanded by Sara Roosevelt to 35 room Georgian Revival mansion in 1915. Graves of FDR and Eleanor Roosevelt are on the grounds. A National Historic Site. Open May 19-Oct. 31, daily 9-5. Grounds open daily 7 am. to dusk..

Val-Kill, Home of Eleanor Roosevelt
Route 9G, Hyde Park
845-255-5302.
Val-Kill, Hyde Park. Built for Eleanor Roosevelt in 1926. Was her permanent home from 1945 to 1962. A National Historic Site. Open May 19-Oct.31, daily 9-5. Grounds open daily 7 a.m. to dusk. (845) 229-9115. Eleanor Roosevelt Center at Val-Kill (Stone Cottage) is open April-Oct. 31, Sat.-Sun., 2-4 p.m. and Nov.-Dec., Sat.-Sun., 2-4 p.m.

Mid-Hudson Bridge - between Poughkeepsie & Highland

Poughkeepsie

Locust Grove,Home of Samuel F. B. Morse
370 South Rd. Poughkeepsie
845-454-4500.
Samuel F. B. Morse's Historic Home and Grounds, a National Historic Landmark. 2 miles south of Mid-Hudson Bridge, Poughkeepsie. Italianate villa and collection of American furniture and decorative arts reflects life of famous artist, inventor. Telegraph display, walking trails, picnic area. Open May1-Nov.1, daily 10-4 except Tues. Special events

Fishkill

Mount Gulian Historic Site
145 Sterling St. Fishkill.
845-831-8172
Restored Dutch colonial home, 1720s Dutch barn, Revolutionary War headquarters for Gen. Von Steuben, birthplace of Society of the Cincinnati. Interpreters in period dress for living history summer program. Open July-Aug., Wed.-Sun., 10-5; other times of year Wed. and Sun., 1-5.

Van Wyck Homestead Museum
Routes 9 & I-84. Fishkill
845-896-9560
Dutch colonial homestead (c. 1732) housing artifacts of the history of Fishkill and the Revolutionary War. Genealogical library, 19th c. Hudson Valley portraits. May 30-Oct. Sun., 1-5 and by appointment.

Newburgh Beacon Bridge

Beacon

Madam Brett Homestead
50 Van Nydeck Ave. Beacon.
845-831-6533
First home in Dutchess County, built in 1709, lived in by seven generations. Operated by Melzingah NSDAR since 1954. Open first Sunday, May-Dec., 1-4 pm.

Garrison

Boscobel Restoration
Route 9D, Garrison
845-265-3638
Boscobel, a Federal period house overlooking the Hudson, was built in 1804 by States Dyckman in Crugers, NY. It was moved and Restored with period furniture and decorative arts in the 1950's. Open daily except Tue. 10-5; last tour 4:15 pm.

Glenclyffe
Glenclyffe, once the home of Kamilton Fish, was acquired by Capuchin Franciscans in 1923. They built the existing monastery lay center. The property was divided and sold in 2001. The land was aquired by the Open Space Instisute,
The 72,000 square foot Georgian brick and marble friary was sold to the Garrison Institute, a multi-faith nonprofit organization.
A 34,000 square foot former dormitory is used by the Philipstown Department of Recreation.
Glenclyffe is located immediately south of Arden Point State Park on Rt. 9D in Garrison, Philipstown Town, in Putnam County.

Croton -on- Hudson

Van Cortlandt Manor
South Riverside Ave., off Rt. 9
Croton -on- Hudson
845-631-8200.
Early Dutch manor house of the Van Cortlandt family. Tours. Open through Dec. 31, daily except Tues., 10-5.

Pocantico Hills

Kykuit
Pocantico Hills.
845-631-9491
Rockefeller family home overlooking the Hudson River. Nelson Rockefeller's collection of modern art; gardens with 70 pieces of 20th c. (works by David Smith, Henry Moore, Alexander Calder, Louise Nevelson). By advance reservation only..

Union Church Of Pocantico Hills
Route 448, North Tarrytown
845-631-8200
Rockefeller church, stained glass windows by Marc Chagall and Henri Matisse. Open weekdays except Tues. 11-5, Sat., 10-5, Sun., 2-5 through Dec. 31.

Sleepy Hollow

Philipsburg Manor Upper Mills
Route 9, North Tarrytown
845-631-8200.
18th century Dutch Colonial trading center for Philipsburg Manor with working mill and barn. Open through Dec. 31, daily except Tues., 10-5.

Tappan Zee bidge. - between Nyack and Tarrytown

Tarrytown

Lyndhurst
635 S. Broadway, Tarrytown
845-631-4481
1838 and 1864-65 Gothic Revival estate built by Alexander Jackson Davis, architect in 1838. New York merchant George Merritt doubled the size of the mansion between 1864 and 65. George Meritt sold the home to railroad magnate Jay Gould in 1880. Lyndhurst is elgantly furnished. Picnicking on the grounds. Open: May-Oct. Wed-Sun. 10-3; Nov-April, weekends only. Carriage House museum shop. Call fo special events..
Lyndhurst is owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
www.lyndhurst.org

Belvedere Mansion (private)
South Broadway, Tarrytown
The Belvedere masion was built after 1910 by Florence and Casper Whitney. It was sold to Dr. Philip Cole in 1928 who named it "Zeeview".
Cole sold Belvedere to the Bronfman family in 1960. The Bronfmans sold it to the Unification Church in 1972 an it is in now their Westchester and Rockland worship center. The mansion is adjacent to Lyndhurst and efforts were made acquire it by/for Westchester County.

Sunnyside
West Sunnyside Lane, Tarrytown
845-631-8200
Washington Irving's 1835 Romantic/Dutch Colonial Revival Style home on the banks of the Hudson. Open through Dec. 31, daily except Tues., 10-5.
Sunnyside is a property of Historic Hudson Valley

Irvington

Armour-Stiner House (private)
The Armour-Stiner (Octagon) House was originally built in the 1860s. It was purchased by Joseph Stiner in 1872 who's alterations created the present structure. In 1976 the house was acquired by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and sold to Joseph Pell Lombardi, a Preservation Architect . The home is a National Historic Landmark.

Yonkers

Philpse Manor Hall State Historic Site
Warburton Ave. and Dock Street, Yonkers New York
845-965-4027
18th century home of Philpse family.
Part of the former manor was built around 1682 by Dutch-born carpenter and trader Frederick Philipse, a son-in-law of Stephanus Van Cortlandt. In 1868, the building became Yonkers' Village Hall, and later, City Hall until 1908.
Call for schedule



More Information

Columbia County Historical Society
www.cchsny.org

Westchester County Historical Society
westchesterhistory.com

Westchester Arts Council
westarts.com

New York State Office of Parks Recreation and Historic Preservation nysparks.state.ny

National Register of Historic Places
www.cr.nps.gov

route9



Philipsburg Manor Upper Mills





Stillwater Blockhouse


Van Alen House


Lindenwald - President Martin Van Buren


Olana - Frederic Edwin Church


Olana - Frederic Edwin Church


Olana


Clermont - Livingston family


Clermont


Clermont


Wilderstein


Ogden and Ruth Livingston Mills


Mills Mansion


Mills Mansion


Mills Mansion


Mills Mansion


Vanderbilt First Cottage


Vanderbilt Mansion


Vanderbilt Mansion


Vanderbilt Mansion


Vanderbilt Garden


FDR Home


FDR Home


FDR Home



Publisher: Delphi Communications   |   Editor: Alex Majthenyi   |   36 Garth Road, Scarsdale, NY 10583
Phone: 914-725-8000   |   e-mail: info@nyshy   |   Copyright   |   Disclaimer   |   Privacy